   stored as factors; is that what you want?
2. You may be better off using a list.

  -Peter Ehlers

On 2010-06-01 7:47, Sarah Goslee wrote:
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Jessica Queree
<j.j.que...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
My issue relates to adding text to a matrix and finding that the text is
converted to a number.

A matrix can only hold one type of data. Since you started with character,
that's what you get.

A dataframe can hold different types of data, both character and numeric.
If you convert your matrix to a dataframe with dataf.frame() it can hold
your output in the manner you expect.

testOutput<- data.frame(matrix(nrow = 200, ncol = 5))

Sarah

This is the section of code I'm having trouble with:

# First, I load in a list of names from a .csv file to 'names'

names<- read.csv(file("Names.csv"))

# Then I define a matrix which will be populated with various test
statistics, with several rows for each entry in names

testOutput<-matrix(nrow = 200, ncol = 5)

for (i in 1:nrow(names)){

            testOutput[i,1]<- names[i,1]

            testOutput[i,2]<- names[i,2]

            # test statistics code here

}

That is, the names are now converted to numbers. I think this might have
something to do with the way I've defined the testOutput matrix, but haven't
been able to find any information about how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.