I have seen several posts (but few answers) in "R-help search" as to whether there are
any packages that use R to process digital images.  There are several categories
related to the general type of problem that are useful to know about:
-- Any existing packages for taking a digital image format {any flavor like TIFF, jpg,
png, or GIF (or even TWAIN input)} and representing it internally in R as RGB or HSB
arrays?
-- Any existing packages for taking array representations of an image and representing
it "graphically" as a "bitmap" (colored?) image in an R window?
-- Any digital filter, image (signal) processing packages specifically directed at
"image processing" or computer vision sorts of problems?

And perhaps the question I should have asked first,  is it silly to think that R might
be a useful tool for exploring (prototyping solutions) to image processing problems?

Thanks for any insights,
Rob Baer