Is there an R equivalent to SAS's proc gremove?  You would use this procedure to
combine the units on an existing map, for example to build a map of Metropolitan
Statistical Areas (MSAs) from the [US] counties dataset where the internal boundries
surround the MSAs (which are groups of counties) rather than the individual counties.
I can imagine the mechanism would be to find and erase the boundries within each
group.  Is there a way to do that in R?  I looked at the S reference on building
geographical databases, and I could probably fumble through the C code to build the
binary files of lines and polygons, but have no idea how to implement the shell
program to extract the datapoints.  Thanks.