Dear List,

I have circular data comprising direction and size for a number of
observations. I wish to calculate statistics such as the mean direction and
concentration for these data. I note that the CircStats package only deals
with angular data (i.e. "Each observation is  treated as a unit vector or a
point on the unit circle". There appears to be no facility for weighting
observations by vector size.

My solution would be to create a data set of angles in which my observations
are repeated in proportion to the vector size, but this would lead to very
large data sets. Does anyone have a better solution to this problem?

Many thanks,
Dan Bebber

____________________________
Dr. Daniel P. Bebber
Department of Plant Sciences
University of Oxford
South Parks Road
Oxford
OX1 3RB
Tel. 01865 275060
Web. http://www.forestecology.co.uk/

"Data, data, data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay"
- Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Copper Beeches, 1892