Dear Peter,

--On woensdag 16 juni 2004 17:06 +0200 Peter Dalgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Paul Lemmens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hello!

If I read ?subset, the workings of the argument drop (to me) seem to
imply equivalence of A and B (R 1.9.0):

# A
dd <- data.frame(rt=rnorm(10), c=factor(gl(2,5)))
dd <- subset(dd, c==1)
dd$c <- dd$c[, drop=TRUE]
table(dd$c)

1
5

# B
dd <- data.frame(rt=rnorm(10), c=factor(gl(2,5)))
dd <- subset(dd, c==1, drop=TRUE)
table(dd$c)

1 2
5 0

So to lose the second level of dd$c, in method B I still need to 'dd$c
<-
dd$c[, drop=TRUE]', while the manual seems to imply that with the drop
argument to subset() this would not be necessary.

Could you comment?

Looks like a documentation bug. The actual code ends up doing

    x[r, vars, drop = drop]

and "[.data.frame" will not drop factor levels. I wonder if it ever
did...

Bottomline: unless I find the time to submit a patch for '[.data.frame', I'll need to use the more elaborate way of dropping the unused levels?

Does "will not drop" imply that it cannot be programmed, should not be programmed, or has not been programmed yet?

kind regards, Paul

--
Paul Lemmens
NICI, University of Nijmegen              ASCII Ribbon Campaign /"\