At 01:22 PM 6/29/2004, Igor Rivin wrote:

>I did read the Import/Export document. It is true that replacing
>the read.table by read.csv and setting the commentChar="" speeds
>things up some (a factor of two?) -- this is very far from acceptable
>performance,
>being some two orders of magnitude worse than SAS (the IO of which is, in
>turn, much worse
>than that of the unix utilities (awk, sort, and so on)) . Setting
>colClasses is suggested
>(and has been suggested by some in response to my question), but for
>a frame with some 60 columns, this is a major nuisance.

Feel free to contribute to the project. Whining and complaining won't get you anywhere. SAS *is* faster at I/O. So what?

Dr. Marc R. Feldesman Professor and Chairman Emeritus Anthropology Department - Portland State University email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] fax: 503-725-3905

"Don't knock on my door if you don't know my Rottweiler's name" Warren Zevon "Its midnight and I'm not famous yet" Jimmy Buffett