Thanks. This is sort of what I have been trying to do... but I keep ending up with products of non-independent chi-squares where I am sort of getting stuck. I knew this Theorem just never knew it was called Cochran's Thm. Btw, do you know of a good book that deals with multivariate statistics using vector notation etc. All the books I have seem to be focused on scalar random variables and they don't even mention it.)

thanks, eugene.

Spencer Graves wrote:

Have you considered Cochran's theorem? (A Google search just produce 387 hits for this, the second of which "http://mcs.une.edu.au/~stat354/notes/node37.html"; provided details that might help.) By construction, P is n x n, idempotent of rank k, so y'Py is chi-square(k). Also, xA is an n-vector in the (rank k) column space of x; indeed, PxA = [x*inv(x'x)*x]xA = xA. I can't see the details now but I believe you can write (A'x'y)^2 = y'xAA'x'y as a weighted sum of k independent chi-squares each with one degree of freedom (since x and P have rank k), and then get what you want from the sum of the weights. Then check your result using Monte Carlo.
hope this helps. spencer graves

Eugene Salinas (R) wrote:

Hi everyone,

(This is related to my posting on chi-squared from a day ago. I have tried simulating this but I am still unable to calculate it analytically.)

Let y be an n times 1 vector of random normal variables mean zero variance 1 and x be an n times k vector of random normal variables mean zero variance 1. x and y are independent.

Then P is the projection matrix  P=x*inv(x'*x)*x'

I need to figure out the covariance

Cov ( y'*P*y , (A'*x'*y)^2 ) where A is a constant of dimension k times 1.

thanks, eugene.