David Whiting wrote:

I'm using R 1.9.1 (patched, 5th July) on linux
(Mandrake 9.2) and am having a problem with the X11()
device. Trying to plot(1:10) results in my CPU going
to 100%

I'm not sure where to start with identifying the
cause. Can someone suggest some things that I should
look at?

First off, you can try and figure out if its the client (R) or the server (your X-windows display server).

Can you connect to your problem machine from another host (preferably one with a different Linux distro, or different X server) and run R, sending the graphics over the network. Does it still cause your problem machine to go slow? Then its something on the client side.

If that works fine, then its something to do with the X server on the problem machine. Or an interaction term between client and server!

Baz