Hi

Clément Calenge wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply.

Paul Murrell wrote:

Hi

Clément Calenge wrote:

Dear R-users,
I have a small problem with the function png(), when used with the
argument colortype="pseudo.cube".
 > png("toto.png", colortype="pseudo.cube")
 > image(matrix(rnorm(10000), 100, 100))
 > dev.off()
R is blocked at the last command (R does not
print any prompt after the last command). Nothing is
written in the file (Gimp indicates that the file is corrupted).

Did you wait long enough? This example took a little while to complete for me (may need someone more familiar with the code to tell us why it is so slow).

You're right, it took 45 minutes for me.
However, since I need to use this code to build a Sweave vignette,
I cannot use it too often (I have about thirty files to create, this
would take about 20 hours to build the vignette !).
I also need the colortype argument (some graphics cards
do not allow the compilation of the vignette without).
Does anyone knows how to speed up the process ?

Wow!  It didn't take that long for me (maybe a minute or two).

A possibly useful observation in case anyone else takes a look at this before me: when I debugged it and ctrl-C'ed to interrupt every now and then, the interrupt always happened inside a call to XQueryColor (in bitgp(), in devX11.c), so that may be the slow part.

Paul

Paul

However,
> png("toto.png")
> image(matrix(rnorm(10000), 100, 100))
> dev.off()
works fine.
I tried:
> options(X11colortype = "pseudo.cube")
> png("toto.png")
> image(matrix(rnorm(10000), 100, 100))
> dev.off()
But, here again, R is blocked. I tried to replace dev.off() by
graphics.off(), but this does not resolve the problem.
The problem does not occurs when the function X11() is used
instead of the function png().
I searched through the mail archive, the FAQ, on google,
but I did not found any solution to this problem.
On the help page on the function png(),
it is indicated that "The colour handling will be that of the 'X11'
device in use".
I never used these functions before, but maybe png()
is not suitable with colortype="pseudo.cube" ?
Can you tell me where I have missed something ?
Thanks in Advance,
Clément Calenge.
>version
_
platform sparc-sun-solaris2.9
arch sparc
os solaris2.9
system sparc, solaris2.9
status
major 1
minor 9.1
year 2004
month 06
day 21
language R

-- Dr Paul Murrell Department of Statistics The University of Auckland Private Bag 92019 Auckland New Zealand 64 9 3737599 x85392 [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/

====================================== UMR CNRS 5558 - Equipe "Ecologie Statistique" Laboratoire de Biométrie et Biologie Evolutive Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 43, Boulevard du 11 novembre 1918 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex FRANCE tel. (+33) 04.72.43.27.57 fax. (+33) 04.72.43.13.88