You want the penalty for the constraint to depend on how
much the constraint is broken -- unlike your sample code.
Page 336 of S Poetry has an example.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

I'm looking for an example of a simple R script that impliments a
contrained nonlinear function using nlm or optim. I'm not exactly sure how
to impliment the constraints within the objective function that is passed
to nlm/optim.

obj.func <- function( p ) {

  x(p) <- unconstrained obj function value

  if( constraint1 > something ) {
     obj.func <- x(p)
  } else {
     obj.func <- some super huge number
 }

}

p <- c(0.1,2.4, 5)

nlm( obj.func, p, and a bunch of other arguments )

Any suggestions would be very helpful...

Jeff.