On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Christian Fiebach wrote:

Dear list,

I am sorry to bother you with this.

I just upgraded yesterday to R 2.0.0 (using apt-get under Debian Sid), and
now have problems running e.g., summary(lm(...))

the lm is calculated, but the summary statement gives me the following error:

Error in La.chol2inv(x, size) : lapack routines cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
unable to load shared library "/usr/lob/R/modules/lapack.so":
  /usr/lib/Pentium4_SSE2_512KB/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: ieeeck_

I searched through the archives, but unfortunately I am just not LINUX-knowledgeable
enough to understand the discussions concerning the algebra libraries.

Following an older mail to this list, I did
ldd /usr/lib/R/modules/lapack.so
everything looks fine except probably for the first line, which reads
libR.so => not found

So does that mean that you have one of the Debian packages atlas3-base or atlas3-3dnow or atlas3-sse or atlas3-sse2 or lapack3 installed? You should have had at least one of those installed to be able to install the r-base-core Debian package.

In the output from ldd /usr/lib/R/modules/lapack.so, does liblapack.so.3 get resolved to /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3 and, if so, what is that file? It is probably a link to /usr/lib/liblapack-3.so which, in turn, is a link to /etc/alternatives/liblapack-3.so. Check that the file linked as /etc/alternatives/liblapack-3.so actually exists.