James
           Thank you for response. I am working on treatment for missing data for both
bivariate and multivariate normal data. Coming back to example. My problem was that
once we do execute this command
x.1 <- read.table('/tempxx.txt', fill=T)

How can access the particular column say X8 and all it’s values so that I could assign
some other operations on them.
Because if I say
print.default(x.1)

the result..