Uwe Ligges wrote:
Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

In

platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i386
os       linux-gnu
system   i386, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

I'm getting an error when using strwidth after a lattice graphic is drawn:

library(lattice)
xyplot(runif(20) ~ runif(20))
strwidth('xxx')

Error in strwidth("xxx") : invalid graphics state

Any help appreciated. I have version 2.0.1 of grid and version 0.10-14 of lattice.

The advice is `don't do that'!

strwidth() is a base graphics command, and will only work if a device is currently plotting base graphics. Lattice is built on grid, which has
stringWidth().

... and convertWidth() is useful to display stuff afterwards in an interpretable way ...

Uwe Ligges

Thanks Uwe and Brian. Before the latest versions, grid would let me use ordinary graphics functions to deal with the currently rendered plot after I did par(usr=c(0,1,0,1)), so I was lazy. I changed my code to use specific grid functions.