Vito Ricci wrote:
Dear all,

in last weeks you discussed about R vs SAS. I want to ask your opinion about a comparison between
R and SPSS. I don't know this software, but some weeks
ago I went to a presentation of this product. I found
it really user-friendly with GUI (even if I'd prefer
command line) and very usefull and simple to use in
creation and managing tables, OLAP tecniques, pivot
table.
What you think about?
Cordially
Vito

What worries me about SPSS is that it often results in poor statistical practice. The defaults in dialog boxes are not very good in some cases, and like SAS, SPSS tends to lead users to make to many assumptions (linearity in regression being one of the key ones).
--
Frank E Harrell Jr Professor and Chair School of Medicine
Department of Biostatistics Vanderbilt University