I am trying to model growth over time for a number of companies (my unit
of analysis). My dependent variable is a count (the number of
acquisitions each firm made each year), and I'm having some trouble
figuring out exactly how to model this. My assumption is that modeling
the effect of time on this dependent variable with a linear model is
inappropriate. Does anyone have any guidance regarding how to model such
a dependent variable such that I could include both random and fixed
effects? Thanks in advance.

S. Trevis Certo, PhD

Assistant Professor & Mays Research Fellow

Management Department

Mays Business School

Texas A&M University