For you reference, there exists a separate mailing list for ESS, which you can find on news.gmane.org just like the R list.

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
I'm a rank beginner with R, and I'm stumped at how to get it to work with Xemacs under Windows XP. I'm afraid there are some VERY basic questions I have here. Yes, I did read http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/readme.html.

Both R and Xemacs are installed and working. The current ess files are installed in a subdirectory of my Xemacs directory. I added the R bin directory to my Windows PATH environment variable.

But when I start Xemacs and then give command

  M-x-R

what I see in the mini-buffer is

  M-x-Rd-

and it's waiting for more input.

So what could be wrong?  ....

1. Where might I find or should I put the requisite Xemacs init.el, in which I'm supposed to enter a line of the form

  (load "/PATH/ess-site")

to point to the ess location? I found no such file anywhere on my system, so I created one in each of the _two_ HOME directories I have -- one pointed to by the enviroment system variable HOME and the other pointed to by the user environment variable HOME (which seem to be different -- I don't recall whether that happened automatically when I installed Singular or whether I did it manually).

2. And what should that file actually be called? The ess docs say it should be %HOME%/.xemacs/init.el for Xemacs, but they also say to put it in the .emacs (or _emacs) file or default.el or site-init.el.

I have an environment variable pointing to a folder where I put this my .emacs file, for Xemacs that would be in the folder .xemacs and init.el

Try Start/Run cmd.exe and then set HOME to get the location

I'm using "init.el".

3. Did I get the form of that line correct for init.el (or whatever it should actually be named)? My file ess-site.el is in

    D:\WP\XEmacs\ess-5.2.3\lisp

so the line I actually put into default.el is:

(load "/D:/WP/XEmacs/ess-5.2.3/lisp/ess-site")

I would try without the first slash

4. Anything else I should check or do to proceed?

See if this works, otherwise seek out the ESS mailing list!

Cheers, Henrik

--------------------------------------------- Henrik Andersson Netherlands Institute of Ecology - Centre for Estuarine and Marine Ecology P.O. Box 140 4400 AC Yerseke Phone: +31 113 577473 [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.nioo.knaw.nl/ppages/handersson