Marc Schwartz wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 12:32 +1000, Andrew Ward wrote:

Apologies for adding to this discussion so late.

When the idea of a mascot was first raised, I
recalled how in describing (and spelling) R to
people in seminars, etc I would sometimes say,
in my best pirate voice, "That's R, as in ARRRRRR!".

The connection to something or someone criminal
is perhaps not desirable, but I'm sure that there
is someone in the R community who could be a model
for the logo (long beard certainly, eye-patch or
wooden leg even better). And then clicking on the
logo would play the accompanying sound. I think
this has plenty of appeal.

;-)

Perhaps we could get Johnny Depp (aka Jack Sparrow)?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0325980/Ss/0325980/PiratesCN-36-6.jpg

Or perhaps Jason Isaacs (aka Captain Hook)?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0316396/Ss/0316396/5576_D137_00042.JPG

;-)

Marc

Or Keith Richards (aka Keith Richards)?