Hello!
I have just upgraded from the R 1.9.1 to the latest version and installed a couple of packages. I as a rule import only base package with this couple of packages at startup. I was very impressed with the speed R2.0.1 does now run (it seems to me I have 50% gain over 1.9.1 version). My question: is this due to "lazy-loading" mechanism (it looks unlikely to me as IMHO lazy-loading conserves memory usage, not cpu cycles) or are packages gots byte-compiled during installation (it is more likely taking into account binary *.rdx files in R/library/... tree). There used to be an alpha verision of byte-compiler for R - is it now included into "official" version of R?
Thank you.