Jean G. Orelien wrote:
I am analyzing particulate matter data (PM10) on a small data set (147
observations).  I fitted a semi-parametric model and am worried about
overfitting.  How can one check for model fit in GAM?

Jean G. Orelien

It's good to separate 'model fit' (or lack of fit) from 'overfitting'. Overfitting can cause the model fit to appear to be excellent, but there is still a huge problem.