Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Anne wrote:

I'm about to present a report (for internal use of governmental agency). I used extensively R , contibuted packages, as well as communications on the R-list

As well as citing R, I would like to know how to cite the contributed packages (it is not so easy, as some have been used exensively, other marginally, some are called from another package and some were not used as softwares but gave me insight of how to proceed), as well as thank the persons who generously responded to my demands on the list...

Is there an established way of doing that?

See the citation() function, which works for packages too and a few authors have taken advantage of the means of customizing it.

I keep learning - thanks Brian. I will add CITATION files in the parent directory of my packages. The defaults generated from citation('packagename') for them are not bad. -Frank