Dear Prof Ripley,

thanks for your suggestions, it's very nice one can create custom connections directly in R and I think it is what I need just now.

However, what is wrong with reading a file at a time and combining the results in R using rbind?

Well, the problem is performance. If I concatenate all those files, they have around 8MB, can grow to tens of MBs in near future.

Both concatenating and reading from a single file by scan takes 5 seconds (which is almost OK).

However, reading individual files by read.table and rbinding one by one ( samples=rbind(samples, newSamples ) takes minutes. The same is when I concatenate lists manually. Scan does not help significantly. I guess there is some overhead in detecting dimensions of objects in rbind (?) or re-allocation or copying data ?

Best regards,

Tomas Kalibera