Dear Michael and Achim,

the problem is obviously that AGU doesn't have a policy for referencing
software.  (They have an excellent policy for citing data, but the policy is
seldom followed in the paleoclimate field.) I suppose that I could cite a
reference manual for R, but that seems a bit weird. Likewise, for the waveslim
package, I suppose that I could reference one of Whitcher's publications about
it, but that's not really what's involved.

AGU makes a distinction between a citation in the body of the article and in
the list of references, and does permit citation of software in a
non-recognized archive in the body of the article. I'm not in a position to get
into a debate with AGU over how they run their citations. It seems to me that
the right course of action is to put the R citation (and the package citation)
in the body of the text.

In a few weeks, I'll probably write to AGU about policies for citing software.

I think that their main concern over citing of Internet sources is permanence.
So unless R packages are mirrored at a recognized permanent data archive, AGU
won't permit the citation in the references (although it will in the running
text). Maybe it would be a good idea to have an R mirror at one of the
permanent data archives. I'm sure one of them wouldn't mind.

Regards, Steve McIntyre