Dear all,

I am expecting a Poisson error distribution in my lme with weights=varFunc().

The "weigths= varPower (form= fitted (.))" doesnīt work due to missing values in the response:

Problem in lme.formula(fixed = sqrt(nrmainaxes + 0...: Maximum number of iterations reached without convergence. Use traceback() to see the call stack

Thatīs why Iīve used one of my most important explanatory variables as a
variance covariate:

weigths= varPower (form=~explanatory)

With that, it worked out properly so far.

What would your suggestion in such a case be?

Regards
Christoph

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am currently analyzing a dataset using lme(). The model I use has the following structure:

model<-lme(response~Covariate+TreatmentA+TreatmentB,
          random=~1|Block/Plot,method="ML")

When I plot the residuals against the fitted values, I see a clear positive trend (meaning that the variance increases with the mean).

I tried to solve this issue using weights=varPower(), but it
doesnīt change the residual plot at all.

You are aware that you need to use something like

weigths= varPower (form= fitted (.))

and the plot residuals using e.g.

scatter.smooth (fitted (model), resid (model, type= 'n'))

Maybe the latter should also be ok with the default pearson residuals, but I
am not sure.

Possibly a look into the following would help?

@Book{Pin:00a,
 author =        {Pinheiro, Jose C and Bates, Douglas M},
 title =         {Mixed-Effects Models in {S} and {S}-{P}{L}{U}{S}},
 publisher =     {Springer},
 year =          {2000},
 address =       {New York}
}

How would you implement such a positive trend in the variance? Iīve tried glmmPQL (which works great with poisson errors), but using glmmPQL I canīt do model simplification.

Well, what error distribution do you have / do you expect?

Regards, Lorenz
- Lorenz Gygax, Dr. sc. nat.
Centre for proper housing of ruminants and pigs
Swiss Federal Veterinary Office