        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Laura Quinn
        Sent: Wed 2/2/2005 4:18 PM
        To: r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch
        Subject: [R] Runnning R remotely

        Hi,

        I was wondering if anyone might be able to help. I am trying to run R
on a
        remote machine, part of the model run I am attempting writes an external
        file output as a png (about 48 iterations per model run). I am running R
        1.9.1 on SuSe9.0, and am accessing this via ssh from a Debian machine.

        Initially I used the command ssh -X IP.address and whilst I was able to
        run the model successfully the model run was extremely slow (which I
could
        not understand as the output was being written to the remote machine),
but
        tried to log in again, this time without the X windows facility and
found
        that I couldn't run the model:

        Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height,
pointsize,
        :
                unable to start device PNG
        In addition: Warning message:
        unable to open connection to X11 display`'

        Could somebody please advise a way around this?

        Thanks in advance,
        Laura

        Laura Quinn
        Institute of Atmospheric Science