Charles and Kimberly Maner wrote:
Hi all.  I'm reading in a flat, comma-delimited flat file using read.csv.
It works marvelously for the most part.  I am using the colClasses argument
to, basically, create numeric, factor and character classes for the columns
I'm reading in.  However, a couple of the fields in the file are date
fields.  I'm fully aware that POSIXct can be used as a class, however the
field must obey, (I think), the standard/default POSIXct format.  Hence the
following question:  Does anyone have a method they can share to read in a
non-standard formatted date to convert to POSIXct?  I can read it in then
convert it, but that's a two pass approach and not as elegant as a single
pass through read.csv.  I've read, from the documentation, that "[o]therwise
there needs to be an as method (from package methods) for conversion from
"character" to the specified formal class" but I do not know and have not
figured out how to do that.

Any suggestion(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Charles

The csv.get function in the Hmisc package may do most of what you want.