On 5 Feb 2005, at 23:59, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Michael Kubovy wrote:

Frank Harrell suggested I re-post with information about the version of

Thanks, that starts to make sense. You appear to have g77 installed, but not in the place the person who prepared the binary install of R has it.
Where do you have it installed? ('whereis g77' or 'which g77' should tell you.) Then you need to alter FLIBS in R_HOME/etc/Makeconf to point to it. (You can remove -lfrtbegin from FLIBS: it is not needed: your R_HOME looks to be /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1.)

However, I believe there is a more fundamental problem: because libg2c is a static library on current MacOS X, most packages using Fortran cannot be compiled there. That's presumably the case with Hmisc, as the automated package builder is not providing a binary build. (There is supposedly a check directory on CRAN, but it is not there at present.)

This must be a problem specific to a certain installation. I regularly build Fortran files into MacOS X binaries. The specification in this machine is:

pomme:~ jarioksanen$ uname -a
Darwin pomme.local 7.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.7.0: Sun Nov 7 16:06:51 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.9.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
pomme:~ jarioksanen$ locate libg2c
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.0.0.0.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.0.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.a
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libg2c.la

So there are both static and dynamic libg2c's. I don't know of any package management system for Mac, so I don't know who installed these files, but probably it was g77. Probably I got these from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, though (I try avoid Fink which is a constant source of trouble).

Similarly, the g2c is installed in /usr/local:

pomme:~ jarioksanen$ which g77
/usr/local/bin/g77

I got my g77 from a place pointed to in R-MacOS X FAQs.

I have often seen problems in MacOS with hardcoded paths which assume certain locations for files. Latest problem was that 'rgl' library assumes that 'libpng' to be in a different place that I had it. For instance, Darwin's Fink installs stuff in a unique place called /sw. Perhaps that's the problem? However, ideally MacOS software should work 'jus anywhere' (and 'just work') like they say in ads.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen, Oulu, Finland