Ok.  The work-around I can grow accustomed to, or I might fall back on
GRASS5.4 if that works.

I wonder if another problem that cropped up is somehow related to the
first.  Using interp=TRUE I managed to import a raster map to R.  But
when trying to plot it, I get the following:

 > plot(G,tt$rb1)
Error in reverse(G) : cannot allocate vector of length 1086556160

???

Thanks for the help,
Steve

---
Steven T. Stoddard

Program in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology

(217) 333-2235
302 Shelford Vivarium
606 E. Healy Ave
Champaign, IL  61820
http://www.life.uiuc.edu/~sstoddar

On Feb 8, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Steven T.Stoddard wrote:
>
>> I am using GRASS 5.7 and R 2.0 for OS X.  I have a simple xy location
>> am doing some theoretical work with and would like to import maps into
>> R using the interface in order to do analyses.  Yet when I attempt to
>> do this, I get the following error:
>>
>>> G<-gmeta()
>> Error in gmeta() : region for current mapset is invalid
>> line 11: <top:        100>
>> run "g.region"
>>
>> I traced the problem to the compiled C program that is called from the
>> gmeta R function (i.e. > .C("gmeta") gives me the same error). I
>> haven't been able to locate the source code on my volume.
>>
>> If I use gmeta(interp = TRUE) there is no problem, until I want to
>> actually try and import data from my locations.
>
> The current fix for 5.7 and 6.0.0beta is to use interp=TRUE. The cause
> of
> the problem seems to be the use of the 3D WINDOW, which the older code
> in
> the R-GRASS interface doesn't yet honour. I'm not at all sure what will
> happen if your x,y locations are sites; the interface knows about
> old-style sites, not vector sites. You may be obliged to use
> system("") to
> issue GRASS 5.7 commands to write out an ASCII file to read into R with
> read.table().
>
> Roger
>

>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> ---
>> Steven T. Stoddard
>>
>> Program in Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Biology
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>>
>> (217) 333-2235
>> 302 Shelford Vivarium
>> 606 E. Healy Ave
>> Champaign, IL  61820
>> http://www.life.uiuc.edu/~sstoddar
>>

> --
> Roger Bivand
> Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School
> of
> Economics and Business Administration, Breiviksveien 40, N-5045 Bergen,
> Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 93 93
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        [[alternative text/enriched version deleted]]