For MacOS we have

Binary packages, foo.tgz
Source packages, foo.tar.gz

Neither are `zip files' (things created by zip, usually with extension .zip).

It looks like you have not installed a source package before, and you either do not have the development tools installed or they are not in your path.

That there is no binary version of a package available usually indicates a problem with it on MacOS X, at least on the autobuilder's version of MacOS.