I have a working installation of RMySQL in Mac OS X (10.3.7). I have libz in /usr/lib, as you do.
None of my personal installation notes mention doing anything special for /usr/lib/libz*.
My R was built from a source distribution; it is not a binary distribution. (version info below)

The only extra step I do is to define environment variables PKG_CPPFLAGS and PKG_LIBS,
like this:

mysql.home <- '/usr/local/mysql'
Sys.putenv('PKG_CPPFLAGS'=paste('-I',file.path(mysql.home,'include'),sep=''))
Sys.putenv('PKG_LIBS'=paste('-L',file.path(mysql.home,'lib'),' -lmysqlclient',sep=''))
install.packages('RMySQL')

You could try adding /usr/lib to PKG_LIBS.

-Don

version
_ platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.8.5
arch powerpc os darwin6.8.5 system powerpc, darwin6.8.5 status major 2 minor 0.1 year 2004 month 11 day 15 language R

RMySQL is 0.5-5