mark engle wrote:
Hi All,
I'm trying to install the quantreg library on my MEPIS box (debian-based linux). When I try >install.packages("quantreg") it fails to loads and errors with: /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3. I tried installing a ton of packages to fix the missing part but the only thing I manage to do it cause problems with another shared library and had to re-install a couple of packages to even get R to run again (It's pretty late here and I'm just too tired to remember all the packages I messed with) .

As a work around I tried downloading an .rpm for the package and converting it to a .deb using alien. I then installed the .deb through kpackage. It installed without any complaints and I can run the library command with quantreg. However when I try to run a quantreg command (in this case, rq) at the R prompt, I get: "Error: Object "rq" not found". This suggests to me that the package hasn't really installed itself or isn't working properly.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to be able to use this library with R. In fact at the moment R doesn't do me much good without it.
Thanks.

How was your R or r-base-core installed? If it came from one of Dirk's Debian packages it should already have a dependency on one of the atlas3 packages (either atlas3-base or atlas3-sse or atlas3-sse2 or atlas3-3dnow) that provides a blas-3 library.

I would suggest installing one of the atlas3 packages (sse2 for recent Pentium or 3dnow for a recent Athlon chip).

Although the arrangements with the atlas3 packages are complex they provide a great performance boost on some linear algebra operations with large matrices.