No, this doesn't seem right. What I look for is something that could solve nonlinear systems with n unknowns and n equations. So there will be zero degrees of freedom, and statistical methods can't be the right way forward.

Specifically I can see that the litterature mentions's "Scarf's algoritm" (Scarf 1967) and Merril's refinement of Scarf's algoritm in 1972, but there might be other algoritms too...

Regards...TP

yutaka hamaoka wrote:

I believe library(systemfit) has nlsytemfit function.

Yh

T Petersen wrote:

I'm about to write my thesis in economics and will need to setup and solve a system of non-linear equations. At our university we usually use GAMS for this, and though GAMS is a fine program, it bugs me a that I won't be able to run my code after I finish my thesis without buying a license for the program(about $3.500 :-(( )

So I've looked around for NL-stuff for R, but I can't find anything. The closest thing appears to be optim(), but it doesn't seem to allow constraints(as in fn = constant) or equations systems. So, anyone knows if there is a method in R that you can use for this purpose?

regards