Christian Hennig wrote:
Perhaps I should not write it because I will discredit myself with this
but...

Suppose I have a setup with 100 variables and some 1000 cases and I want to
boil down the number of variables to a maximum of 10 for practical reasons
even if I lose 10% prediction quality by this (for example because it is
expensive to measure all variables on new cases).

Is it really so wrong to use a stepwise method?

Yes. Read about model uncertainty and bias in models developed using stepwise methods. One exception: if there is a large number of variables with truly zero regression coefficients, and the rest are not very weak, stepwise can sort things out fairly well. But you never know this in advance.

Let's say I divide the sample into three parts and do variable selction on
the first part, estimation on the second and test on the third part (this
solves almost all problems Frank is talking about on p. 56/57 in his
excellent book). Is there always a tractable alternative?

That's a good way to find out how bad the method is, not to fix the problems inherent in it.

Of course it is wrong to interpret the selected variables as "the true influences" and all others as "unrelated", but if I don't do that?

If it should really be a taboo to do stepwise variable selection, why are p.
58/59 of "Regression Modeling Strategies" devoted to "how to do it of you
must"?

Stress on "if". And note that if you ask what is the optimum alpha for variables to be kept in the model when doing backwards stepdown, it's alpha=1.0. A good compromise is alpha=0.5. See

@Article{ste01pro,
author = {Steyerberg, Ewout W. and Eijkemans, Marinus
J. C. and Harrell, Frank E. and Habbema, J. Dik F.},
title = {Prognostic modeling with logistic regression
analysis: {In} search of a sensible strategy in small data sets},
journal = Medical Decision Making,
year = 2001,
volume = 21,
pages = {45-56},
annote = {shrinkage; variable selection; dichotomization of
continuous varibles; sign of regression coefficient; calibration; validation}
}

And on Bert's excellent question about why shrinkage is not used more often, here is our attempt at a remedy:

@Article{moo04pen,
author = {Moons, K. G. M. and Donders, A. Rogier T. and
Steyerberg, E. W. and Harrell, F. E.},
title = {Penalized maximum likelihood estimation to directly
adjust diagnostic and prognostic prediction models for overoptimism: a
clinical example},
journal = J Clinical Epidemiology,
year = 2004,
volume = 57,
pages = {1262-1270},
annote = {prediction research;overoptimism;overfitting;penalization;bootstrapping;shrinkage}
}

Frank

Please forget my name;-)

Christian