Martin,
If you have trouble finding page 74 of Introduction to R, you can get
the information that Marc suggested you read by doing the following. At
the R prompt enter

help.start()

Then when you see the web page "Statistical Data Analysis R", click on
the SEARCH ENGINE & KEYWORDS link. In the search box enter SPSS.
John

John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
Baltimore VA Medical Center GRECC and
University of Maryland School of Medicine Claude Pepper OAIC

University of Maryland School of Medicine
Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524

410-605-7119
- NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 13:23 +0000, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm not sure if this is an german list, so I will post in english.

The official language is English.

> I'm using R on my gentoo linux and now I got an spss .sav file.  I
found
> that r has a function like read.spss("file.sav") but when I try this
> get the Error: couldn't find function "read.spss".  Can anyone tell
me
> what's going wrong?

read.spss() is part of the "foreign" package, which is installed as
part
of the base R installation, but it is not loaded by default.

Thus, you need to use:

library(foreign)
read.spss(...)

See ?library and page 74 in "An Introduction to R".

HTH,

Marc Schwartz