On 7/21/05, Duncan Murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/21/2005 9:43 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> > I think you have been using R too long.  Something like
> > this is very much needed.  There are two problems:
> >
> > 1. the process itself is too complex (need to get rid of perl,
> >     integrate package development tools with package installation
> >    procedure [it should be as easy as downloading a package],
> >    remove necessity to set or modify any environment variables
> >     including the path variables).
>
> I agree with some of this, but I don't see much interest in fixing it.
>
> For example, getting rid of Perl would be a lot of work.  When the Perl
> scripts were written, R was not capable of doing what they do.  I think
> it is capable now, but there's still a huge amount of translation work
> to do.  Who will do that?  Who will test that they did it right?  At the
> end, will it actually have been worth all the trouble?  Installing Perl
> is not all that hard.

Each step may not be hard but the totality of them all means its
pretty complex for most people.  I don't know who will do it or
whether anyone even will but a first step is identifying that it needs
to be done.  Since the key to expanding R is to expand the library
to me making it simple to create and install packages and R ought
to be of very high priority for the core group regardless of difficulty
in achieving this.  If no one is interested in doing it then it will remain
a limitation of R that commercial or other free systems can use to
gain advantage over R.

> > 2. there is too much material to absorb just to create a package.
> >     The manuals are insufficient.
>
> The first sentence here is basically a repetition of "the process is too
> complex".  I think the second sentence is incorrect.  Could you please
> point out what necessary steps are missing?

Its not that anything is missing that I am aware of.  Its that there is so much
detail one is overwhelmed.  Its not completely the fault of the description
since as point #1 mentions the process itself is a key part of the
problem.

> > A step-by-step simplification is very much needed.
>
> Exactly this has been in the Installation and Administration manual
> since I put it there in February for the 2.1.0 release.  It's at the
> beginning of the appendix on the Windows toolset, with multiple
> references pointing people there.  It's followed by detailed
> descriptions of each of the steps.
>
> If you think it could be further improved, please submit improvements.

That is easy to say but, in fact, if anyone does this they are not met
with a receptive atmosphere.  The excellent post describing the process
that started this out (even if there are some small errors) is just one
example.

>  >Its no
> > coincidence that there are a number of such descriptions on
> > the net (google for 'making creating R package') since I would
> > guess that just about everyone has significant problems in creating
> > their first package on Windows.
>
> As far as I can tell, those all predate the release of 2.1.0.  I think
> your complaints are out of date.

I am sure the situation is getting better but I did look at the manuals
again before posting and do think that a step by step article such
as that in Ivy Li's post, the various documents on the net findable by google
as I mentioned and the proposed article by Uwe are really needed
in addition to the manuals.  The manuals can then be used to get
additional detail.