I'm trying to update my Matrix package given the update last night. But
the following error is generated. I've tried restarting R and deleting
my old Matrix package. Can anyone suggest how this might be resolved?

> install.packages('Matrix')
trying URL
'http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.1/Mat
rix_0.98-1.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 891288 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 870Kb

package 'Matrix' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Error: cannot remove prior installation of package 'Matrix'

> traceback()
4: stop(sprintf(gettext("cannot remove prior installation of package
'%s'"),
       curPkg), domain = NA, call. = FALSE)
3: unpackPkg(foundpkgs[okp, 2], foundpkgs[okp, 1], lib, installWithVers)
2: .install.winbinary(pkgs = pkgs, lib = lib, contriburl = contriburl,
       method = method, available = available, destdir = destdir,
       installWithVers = installWithVers, dependencies = dependencies)
1: install.packages("Matrix")

This is on a Windows XP machine for R 2.11