This depends on what else is going on.  My guess is that you are running
the Aqua GUI, and it is servicing the GUI which is taking the time, not R
itself.

On all of Linux, Solaris and Windows (RGui or Rterm) Sys.sleep() does use
very close to zero resources at the beginning of a session, but things may
be different if e.g. tcltk widgets are in use.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Don MacQueen wrote:

> I done something very similar -- have R watch a file, and whenever
> new data is added to the file, read the new data from the file. In my
> case, new data was arriving once per minute, so I needed to have R
> wait about a minute before looking for new data.
>
> On my unix-based system, I found that if I usd

I don't think your system IS `unix-based' (Unix is a trademark, and MacOS
X is based on a rather different kernel).  It is quite possible that it is
behaving differently from the POSIX description of Unix system calls on
which R is based for Unix-alikes.

>       Sys.sleep( N )
> then cpu usage immediately went up drastically. If the the system is
> otherwise fairly idle, cpu usage goes up to nearly 100%. A cpu
> monitor shows that R is using the cpu cycles.
>
> If I use instead
>      system('sleep N')
> cpu usage does not go up.

Does that freeze the GUI?  It certainly freezes tcltk widgets on Unix.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]