Thanks Marc and Jim for the tips. The PDF file that I create with R looks
about the same as the one you created. However, I need to get the graphic
to be a certain size (300 pixels wide). I have been using the ImageMagick
program to do so for other graphics:

convert test.pdf -resize 300x300 out.pdf

then out.pdf looks rather poor (pixelly). The original image is too big.
ANy ideas?
Thanks a lot,Peter