I am using the RODBC package to read data from an Excel file. An excerpt of the file looks like this:
00103V206       AES Corporation 6.00%   42.87
00808N202       AES Trust III   6.75%   34.98
03748R861       Apartment Investment & Management   9.00%   #ERROR (I)
039380209       Arch Coal, Inc. 5.00%   61.51

My problem appears to be related to specification of data types by column. For instance, the CUSIPS in column 1 are read in correctly when they contain a letter, but as NA when they are purely numbers. Similarly, in the fourth column the rows with "#ERROR (I)" are read in as such, but all other values become NA.

I have experimented with "as.is" but have not been able to arrive at a solution. I also changed the nullstrings return value and each of the NAs generated above appear to be genrated by the query "seeing" null strings.

As always, your assistance is most appreciated.