Colleagues

On occasion, I want to control either tick marks or labels in axes
different from the defaults created with "axes=T" in the plot
command.  If I invoke "axes=F" and axis(n), I can do so.  However,
the axes produced by axis() differ slightly from those produced
within plot.  I have "bty" in par set to "l" (i.e., left and bottom
axes only).  Differences include:

1.  when an axis contains a factor, plot() produces axes showing the
actual factors whereas axis() replaces these factors with integers
representing the level of the factor (e.g., if the factor is
countries, plot() yields axes labeled "Argentina", "Brazil", etc.
whereas axes() yields 1, 2, ...

2.  axes produced by plot() are "full-length" (i.e., the axes connect
at the corner of the plot) whereas axes produced by axis() are not
full-length (i.e., they run between the smallest and largest label).
It appears that this can be overcome by using the "at" option within
axes().  However, I cannot figure out how to use the "at" option when
the axis is a factor.

Thoughts?
Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD