Perhaps this is related: I noticed just recently after my IT folks
installed a new desktop PC for me, that anytime I click on the pdf files
for documentation with R packages that I get an Adobe error message about
can't open the file because it doesn't strart with '%PDF%' .  But if I
download the file to my hard disk and then click on it Adobe has no
problem opening it.  I'm using Adobe Reader 7.0 and Adobe Acrobat Standard
7.0.

Brian

Brian S. Cade

U. S. Geological Survey
Fort Collins Science Center
2150 Centre Ave., Bldg. C
Fort Collins, CO  80526-8818

email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel:  970 226-9326

(Ted Harding) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
12/05/2005 08:19 AM
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Doran, Harold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject
Re: [R] Broken links on CRAN

On 05-Dec-05 Doran, Harold wrote:
> Dear List:
>
> When I click on the link to download a reference manual for a package
> on cran, I get an error message that the file is damaged and could not
> be repaired. I randomly chose various packages and the same error
> message appears.
>
> Are the links actually broken? I have also restarted my machine and
> closed and re-opened acrobat.
>
> I am using Windows XP, Acrobat Professional 6.0.0.5, and Explorer
> 6.0.2900.2180
>
> Harold

This message is one which Acrobat Reader puts out when asked to
read a "damaged file" and is an unlikely response from a browser
trying to access a "broken link".

Either there is a problem with your Acrobat Reader or its installation
as a "helper" in Explorer, or there is indeed something wrong with
the files you tried to download.

The latter is (I hope) very unlikely! (given that you "randomly chose
various packages").

If you specify one or two packages for which you got this error
message, some of us can try for ourselves, cross-check your
experience, and report back. This should help to localise the
source of the problem.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 05-Dec-05                                       Time: 15:19:43