Dear Aaron,

I am really  a tool user and not a tool maker (actually an ecologist
doing some biostatistics)... so, I take the liberty of sending a copy of
this e-mail to the r-help list where capable computer persons and true
statisticians may provide more relevant information and also to Paulo
Ribeiro and Peter Diggle, the authors of geoR..

I really feel that your huge matrix cannot be handled in R that easy,
and I get the same kind of error as you:

 > m=matrix(1,ncol=18227, nrow=18227)
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 2595496 Kb
In addition: Warning messages:
1: Reached total allocation of 511Mb: see help(memory.size)
2: Reached total allocation of 511Mb: see help(memory.size)

However, if you want to compute a distance matrix, have a look to the
function:

?dist

and try it... You will not have to create the distance matrix yourself
from the coordinates file (but you may meet meory problem anyway). Still
more straigthfully, if you intend to use interpolation methods such as
kriging, you don't need to manage the distance matrix building by
yourself. See:

library(geoR)
library(help=geoR)
?variog
?variofit
?likfit?

etc...

If you want further use geostatics (eg via geoR or gstat), you will
anyway have to manage with memory limits (not due to R). On my computer
(portable HP compaq nx7000) I can hardly manage with more than 2000
observations using geoR (far from your 18227 observations). I had to
krige on a dataset with 9000 observations recently and has been led to
subsample randomly 2000 values. You can however try and  increase the
memory allocated to R on your computer. The size limit is hardware
dependent, eg:

?memory.size
?memory.limit
/ memory.limit(size=500000000) /

Another way may be to perform local kriging (eg kriging within the
dataset on a fixed radius), but to my knowldege this cannot be done with
geoR (unfortunately). The library gstat offers this option, but has much
more limited possibilities than geoR considering other issues (variogram
analysis, etc...).

library(gstat)
?krige

see argument 'maxdist'