Hello,
IMHO,

for the printer

1 - The best choice of  graphics format is postscript ( PS )  in
Microsoft ( M$ ), since you install the M$ Convert Pack [1]!
Make a preview in PS file with EMF format! use epstool for this

2 - Enhanced MetaFile ( EMF ) in M$ and OpenOffice ( OOo) is not the
same... This can be a problem! See pstoedit page [2]

3 - In OOo, I use the EPS file with the follow procedure:
      - save my graphic in PS
      - make to use de EPSTOOL for to produce EPS ( ps with tiff
preview
) -> preview is a tiff graphic with low quality

*note:  emf can be also to included for preview

      - I need a PS-printer... in the case of NO-ps-printer, the
tiff
(low quality) will be printed! { :-(  }, then, I make a PDF final
report
with ExtendendPDF!

      - this procedure also work in the M$-Word

HTH,
Cleber N. Borges {klebyn}

[1] -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cf196df0-70e5-4595-8a98-370278f40c57&DisplayLang=en