Hi

In a dataset I have length and age for cod. The age, however, is ony
given for 40-100% of the fish. What I need to do is to fill inn the NAs
in a correct way, so that age has a value for each length. This is to be
done for each sample seperately (there are 324 samples), meaning the NAs
for sampleno 1 shall be calculated from the known values from sampleno 1.

As for example length 55 cm can be both 4 and 5 years, I guess a fish
with NA age and length 55 cm should be given a "random" age given a
probability for example "55 cm = 4 years has a p=75%, while 55 cm = 4
years has a p=25%". Those "p-values" should be calculated from the real
data.

How can this be done in R, and what is the right way to do it?

Sample number 1 is given below.

Best regards
Torleif Markussen Lunde

length  age     sampleno