1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0   0
2  0  0  0  0  0  1  1  1  0   0
3  0  0  0  0  0  1  1  1  0   0
4  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0   0
5  0  0  2  2  2  0  0  0  0   0
6  0  0  0  2  2  2  0  0  0   0
7  0  0  2  2  2  2  2  2  0   0
8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0   0

idx=which(x==2,arr.ind=T) #Index of observations with values == 2 . Notice the use of arr.ind=t to get the rows and columns of the observations

idx
 row col
5   5   3
7   7   3
5   5   4
6   6   4
7   7   4
5   5   5
6   6   5
7   7   5
6   6   6
7   7   6
7   7   7
7   7   8

range(idx[,"row"]) #gives you the min and max of the rows with x==2
[1] 5 7
range(idx[,"col"])#gives you the min and max of the columns with x==2
[1] 3 8

You can refine this and wrap it in a function to make reports in a more suitable form

Regards

Francisco

Dr. Francisco J. Zagmutt
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Colorado State University