This is probably somewhere in the archives but I couldn't find it:

What's the R equivalent function to the Stata command:

"Use v1 v3 v5 v7 v2 using fileX.dat"

Where vn are variables named within the headed file fileX.dat

I know I could do this crudely by just loading the file then creating a
subset, but the file is pretty huge. The Import/Export Manual gives some
examples of how to perform some low level operations using scan() but I'd
rather use something more prosaic.

Cheers,

Jon Minton