Hi all,

I am faced with the situation where I want to store/analyze
relatively large, organized sets of numerical data, which depend on a
number of conditions (biological properties, exposure times,
concentrations etc etc).  Imagine about a hundred dataframes of a few
thousand numerical values, with some annotation in text for some
entries.

Intuitively, I would like to be able to slice the data in a 'data-
cube' kind of way to query, analyze, cluster, fit etc., which
resembles the database data-cube way of thinking common in de db
world these days. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cube )

I have no knowledge of a package that supports such things in an
elegant way within R.  If this exists, please point me to it.

Also considering implementing a similar setup myself, I started
wondering about the possibility of use references (or "pointers"
aargh) to dataframes and store them in a list etc.   Separate lists
can then represent different 'views' on the shared instance
dataframes etc.   I have no knowledge if that is even possible in R,
and if that is even the smart way to do it.  If someone could provide
some help, that would be great.

Other option is of course to link to MySQL and do all data handling
in that way.  Also considering that.

Any thoughts/hints would be appreciated !

thanks,

Piet

--
Dr. P. van Remortel