Hi Deborah,

A very good source for hands-on information on mixed models in S is:
"Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS" by Pinheiro and Bates

Incidentally, it's available in your university's library
http://toroprod.library.utoronto.ca/uhtbin/cgisirsi/2XfWcMI0Ns/ROBARTS/140640080/2/1000

I believe the book does not explicitly cover the lme4 package (lmer is
part if this package) but the principles can be easily applied to your
needs.

Regards,

Francisco

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Dear R-Pros,
> I have count data in which 6-10 points are nested within 17 larger units
> (which are nested within 3 larger-still units) plus a number of
> covariates.  It could be nested ANCOVA but for poisson family.  Could
> someone kindly advise me 1) if lmer is the correct function for the
> analysis? and 2) what synax expresses the error structure?  I have
> consulted the package HTML documentation but am not experienced enough to
> get it.
> Many thanks,
> Deborah

Dr. Francisco J. Zagmutt
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Colorado State University