I thought more about this last night after my email about putting an end to
"Read the Manual" replies.

It seems that there are a handful of R Super-Programmers. If I were one, I
would get tired of 100's of questions like "How can I get my Excel file into
R!!!". Concurrently, R is experiencing an exponential increase in new users
to the extent that there are now discussions about the use of R in academia.
Further, this increase is occurring across a breadth of disciplines. So, to
brush aside easy questions is to potentially brush aside new users and put
us in snooty-camp.

A potential solution is to offer two lists.one for newbies and one
for.umm.not-newbies. Some not-newbies may prefer subscribing to both and
setting up 2 email folders.

Jeff