On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, R. Villegas wrote:

2006/12/15, Carmen Meier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hello r-group
I have a question to the ks.test.
I would expect different values for less and greater between data1 and
data2.
Does anybody could explain  my point of misunderstanding the function?

The help page says:

     This is a comparison of cumulative distribution
     functions, and the test statistic is the maximum difference in
     value, with the statistic in the '"greater"' alternative being D^+
     = max_u [ F_x(u) - F_y(u) ].

data1 and data2 have the same empirical CDF, so should and do give the same value of the test statistic.

We cannot know what you misunderstanding is, since you have not explained your expectations.

data1<-c(8,12,43,70)
data2<- c(70,43,12,8)

ks.test(data1,"pnorm")
ks.test(data1,"pnorm",alternative ="less")    #expected < 0.001
ks.test(data1,"pnorm",alternative ="greater") #expected =1

ks.test(data2,"pnorm")
ks.test(data2,"pnorm",alternative ="less")  #expected =1
ks.test(data2,"pnorm",alternative ="greater") #expected < 0.001

With regards Carmen

Possible  you are unable to use the KolmogorovÿÿSmirnov test given that
the sample size is small.

You can: the distribution theory is exact.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]