The other reason for considering which of the different approaches to use
would be performance:

> f.1 <- function(x) x+1
> f.2 <- function(x) x+2
>
> system.time({
+     for (i in 1:100000){
+         eval(parse(text=paste('f.', i%%2+1, sep='')))(i)
+     }
+ })
[1] 6.96 0.00 8.32   NA   NA

> system.time({
+     for (i in 1:100000){
+         {if(i %% 2 == 0) f.1 else f.2}(i)
+     }
+ })
[1] 0.52 0.00 0.61   NA   NA

eval(parse...) seems to be an order of magnitude slower.  It would make a
difference if you were calling it several thousand times; so it depends on
your application.

On 1/5/07, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 05 January 2007 19:35, Bert Gunter wrote:
> > ??
> >
> > Or to add to what Peter Dalgaard said... (perhaps for the case of many
> more
> > functions)
> >
> > Why eval(parse())? What's wrong with if then?
> >
> > g <- function(fpost,x){if(fpost==1)f.1 else f.2 }(x)
> >
> > or switch() if you have more than 2 possible arguments? I think your
> > remarks reinforce the wisdom of Thomas's "axiom" .
>
> Thanks, Bert, but as with Peter's solution, your solution forces me to
> build g
> ahead of time. And again, I am not sure I see why the attempt to avoid
> eval(parse(text.
>
> Best,
>
> R.
>

> > Bert Gunter